The Irving Schoolyard Project offers a comprehensive plan to remove blacktop, restore native plantings, create outdoor gathering places, and provide safe and accessible recreational areas to meet the education, health and wellness needs of current and future students, neighbors and community members.
- An artificial turf multi-purpose athletic field will provide much-needed space to local sports and recreation groups that currently compete for limited space to engage children in formal and informal sporting activities.
- Multiple outdoor classrooms, nestled between prairie plants and adjacent to rain gardens, will offer teachers myriad opportunities to incorporate the environment into their curricula. Community groups and neighbors will also benefit from new gathering places in a park-like setting outside school hours.
- A reading garden, bordered by birdhouses, ornamental trees and planting beds, will offer a comfortable outdoor space for individual and small group learning activities.
- Two basketball half-courts and four-square courts will engage children and families in games and recreation.
- Custom and traditional playground equipment will offer accessible, safe and creative play opportunities for children of all ages.